Thursday, June 28, 2007

and Gomer Pyle says:

Suprise! Suprise! Suprise!

I guess that the Gomer Pyle reference shows my age, but it is such a perfect quote for the recent news.

The phones are ringing, the e-mails are zinging and the "Alleluia's" singing with the announcement about the new Interim Superintendent. I will admit that I was convinced that the EC Swami was absolutely correct in calling the race completely in favor of Deputy Gregg. Just when I had resigned myself to having the ECASD remain stuck in several key areas I am completely amazed that the BOE found the votes to make a change for somebody outside of the same, darn Black Box that so many of us have been trying to penetrate for years.

I guess that the next step is to locate a Deputy Superintendent. But if the Interim Sup. is truly just a "one year or less" position, I am assuming that they will have an Interim Deputy as well so the new Superintendent can select his/her own Deputy. Wow! We are going to have to get scorecards to follow all of the changes.

We are finally reaching a crucial tipping point for change with some new BOE members, new Administrators and a new way of doing business that has a chance to move our district into the 21st century. It has been way too long in coming but it makes it ever so welcome now that it is here.

Maria

4 comments:

EC_Swami said...

Shazam!

The Swami is knows his stuff with respect to reincarnation. Predestination, being a Christian concept, is something he has trouble with. He needs to go to the mountain to meditate on this. Look for him at the Mt Washington ski jump.

Maybe John Calvin will write a comment to explain this. Predestination (or the lack of it) is his gig, not mine.

Anonymous said...

This was a shocker, for sure. I would love to know how the votes went on this. I think the fresh start will be good for the greater community, regardless of what Dr. Butler's qualifications were for the job. I can't remember the last time I thought this, but I am actually happy with this board decision.

Anonymous said...

I recall when the city picked an acting city manager after Don Norell resigned the council specifically stated they would not consider an applicant who was also a candidate for the manager's job. There was some debate about this but the majority of the council felt it good policy to do it that way.

I believe Dr. Butler has indicated to the press he is or might be interested in applying for the Superintendent position. The man chosen has indicated he was not interested and so whatever arguements about the interim position holder not being an appropriate candidate are moot.
I would not take it at all as a rejection of Dr, Butler.

Anonymous said...

I would not take it at all as a rejection of Dr, Butler.

Jim, someday you will retire from your current position as the full time observer of Eau Claire politics. This is preordained, there is a power in Eau Claire beyond that of even the Chamber of Commerce.

When this happens be sure to clear out your office in the peanut gallery at the Council Chambers in City Hall. Details matter. City Hall is only open during the day, they won't let you do it in the middle of the night.

As for The Swami, my view of reincarnation mirrors that of the McKenzie brothers. If you listen to people like him, life sucks, then you die. Then life sucks again. Take that you hosers.